STAMINADE QUEENSLAND QUENCHERS
Overview: Surf Boat crew numbers in Queensland have dramatically dropped off; the level of competition therefore is not obtainable for our States elite crews in preparation for major achievements at national level. Staminade (Queensland) Quenchers offers a two fold approach, it delivers a valued development series of strenuous racing against the best crews in QLD, and it also delivers a growth platform of increased participation for surf clubs to engage potential new recruits or former surf rowers back to surf boat racing here in Queensland .
In partnership with Staminade & QLD Surf Rowers League “TWO” Ocean Thunder Licenses titled
“Staminade Quenchers” is on offer to competitive Open Men & Open Women’s Surf Boat Crews in Queensland.
The underlining pillar of strength comes from surf lifesaving regions of Sunshine & Gold Coast, where during the season surf clubs compete at “grassroots” level of achievement. Now with the continued support of Staminade we offer the “best of the best” surf boat crews to win representative honors to represent Queensland Staminade Quenchers in the high-profile televised Ocean Thunder Surf Boat Series
To ensure “Team Staminade “is represented by the best boat crews we run 4 x Qualifying rounds, at least 2 weeks prior to Ocean Thunder listed dates, we could see a possible x 8 different crews gaining selection or one crew winning all 4 x qualifying rounds.
- One off season entry fee $300 per crew (QLD SRL –Fee TBA) to all 4 x qualifying trial rounds, racing against the best surf boat crews in QLD.
- All qualifying trials, are standalone events or can be combined with existing QLD SRL carnival calendar dates, however the days format must be split Division 1 & Division 2 … We focus on delivering a professional racing for “Elite” crews wanting fast flow heats with quick turn abounds of racing (maximum 4hr window). …Division 2 (all 6 divisions) will race the remainder of the day. To ease timing on beach for officials & sweeps, Division 1 crews should not be permitted to race.
- All crews will race across 6 x rounds (4 x boat heats) hard extreme racing that will elevate the standard of competition here in Queensland.
- Qualifying “Trial” rounds should be completed no later than 12 noon (facilitating only two divisions Open Men & Open Women).. host club should be encouraged to run BBQ & Beverages (promotes a valued social environment)
- Opportunity for other division like U23 & Reserve Grade crews to step up into elite competition, will massively improve their level of commitment towards training.
- Top point scores, after 6 x rounds on the day will be deemed “Winners”. 1x Open Men & 1 x Open Women crew will receive a subsidy payment towards air fares/ accommodation / towing expenses to compete for “Staminade QLD Quenchers” at the next Ocean Thunder event on Dee Why Beach.
- All “Staminade Quencher” Crews selected across the 4 x Ocean Thunder rounds will share (cash pool) prize money divided up after completion of Round 4 (Grand Final)
- Selected Crews must agree to carry Staminade decals / stickers on the bow of their surf boat when competing in Ocean Thunder rounds (to be supplied) TV commentary will acknowledge Surf Club Crewing “Staninade Quenchers”.
FAQ – Answers
- Entry Fee monies go into “cash flow” budget to support the trials, any balances left over will be spent at the discretion of QLD SRL, hopefully goes towards “Young Guns” Under 23 divisions. (Suggest QLD Entry to International Collaroy Young Guns in January 2016)
- HSM Group will pay an $8000.00 event service fee to QLD SRL to run Staminade Quenchers.
- HSM Group is responsible for payment to Ocean Thunder 2 x Liceces $14,000.00 & $16,000.00 subsidy payment for 8 x Travel Packages (Allocation $2000.00 per crew) , Crews discretion how they spend the travel allowance to Dee Why Sydney.
- For the benefit of all surf boat crews, we encourage QLD crews who have a committed license entry to Ocean Thunder, an incentive to race in all Staminade development trials. Should these crews hit “TOP” position that crew will receive $1000 (bonus payment) but will not be eligible to represent due to their commitment as a licence holder in Ocean Thunder…. No.2 Crew on points will then become eligible to contest and represent Staminade Quenchers. (Note: the bonus payment allocation is for Men & Women)
- Total prize money awarded to Staminade “TEAM” Quenchers across all 4 x Ocean Thunder rounds will go into a “prize pool”. At the completion of the series, Ocean Thunder will make prize money payments back to all qualified crews who gained selection , funds will then be shared equally.
- All crews will be presented with Ocean Thunder apparel and lycra rowing vests. (maximum allocation 8 x sets)
- Stand-alone trials are of preference, but totally understand it becomes extra burden for carnival officials & Sweeps.
- If merging “same day”, Division 1 & Division 2 we “MUST” make it a high priority to run this concept (Staminade Trials) first up in morning, logistically uninterrupted we then have the ability to run a professional series (short turn around heats, offering minimum delays) we acknowledge the recognition of our elite surf boat crews of their dedication towards our sport. We want to attract the best and advance at a competitive level QLD’s Open Men & Open Women (we also welcome to Division 1 competitive Reserve Grade & Under 23 Men & Women) …. Our racing objective is a 4hr session with “run finish” (less officials required)– also we have an understanding Ocean Thunder Series is conducted with run finishers, so the experience at our trails will be a valued experience for all crews.
- Division 2 … the grass roots of our sport, are winners on the day, they too will enjoy arriving relaxed early mid morning to watch Staminade Trials (in particular U19 enjoyment ). With limited crews in Division 2 they will have short heat turn around sessions of racing, time wise again off the beach in 4hrs (unless Masters are included)
- In summary, we need the utmost respect for our officials to deliver a “REFRESH” to sport here in QLD, hopefully with less number of carnivals, replaced with quality events that are enjoyed by all.
Ocean Thunder Pro Surf Boat Series 2015 -2016
1. Saturday 14 November 2015
2. Saturday 12 December 2015
3. Saturday 9 January 2016
4. Saturday 6 February 2016
Contact: Peter Hickey
0418 730 100